October 19, 2017 2:12 pm EST
"Philipsburg's Bravest - Proud to Serve"
InformationHistoryPersonnelSearchable Report DatabaseApparatusEngine 11-10Rescue 11-18Tanker 11-19Utility 11-22Brush 11-25The BuffaloLaFrance SteamerMultimediaPhoto GallerySound GalleryIncident AudioVideo GalleryMore VideosRecruitmentPublic ServiceFatal DecisionsHistorical IncidentsFallen Heroes Scanner RadioFrequenciesTrunk TrackerStation ListingsFire SafetyHome HazardsSmoke DetectorsCarbon MonoxideFire ExtinguishersStop, Drop, and RollCalling 911Resource ListsHydrant AreasNon-Hydrant AreasMore News2007 News Archive2006 News Archive2005 News Archive2004 News Archive2003 News Archive2002 News Archive2001 News Archive
Download --Wav File -- Sterling Model 30 Siren and brass bell from the Buffalo (462 Kbytes)
Download --Wav File -- Pulling a draft and flowing water with a rotary pump (419 Kbytes)

The Buffalo Fire Appliance Corporation of New York built this engine for Hope Fire Company in 1937. Members of the Hope refer to the engine as “The Buffalo”. This truck is a model 7-R with a serial number of A-1577. The Buffalo is powered by a Hercules RXCM gas motor. The six-cylinder Hercules motor produces 380 ft-lbs. of torque at 1000 RPM and 150 horse power at 2600 RPM. The motor also has a dual point ignition and a Zenith carburetor. The pump is rotary gear and is rated at 750 GPM. Audible warning consists of a Sterling Model 30 siren and a manually activated bell. The Buffalo served Hope Fire Company for many years and was an active supply pumper up until the early 1980’s, when it was officially retired. The Buffalo is now limited to parades, pumping contests, and social events. The pumping contest, along with other contests such as battle of the barrel and the bucket brigade, are becoming rare events in the fire service. Hope Fire Company proudly continues this tradition.

A brief history of the Buffalo Fire Appliance Corporation; founded in 1895 the company was located at 28 Wells Street in Buffalo, New York. The company manufactured fire related products including fire extinguishers. In 1909, the company moved to 152 Ellcott Street and in 1922 the company moved to 44 Central Avenue in Buffalo, New York. In 1928, the Buffalo Fire Appliance Corporation introduced their own line custom fire apparatus chassis. The Buffalo Fire Appliance Corporation manufactured its last apparatus in 1948.
Home | Contact HFC | Mission Statement | Member Login | HFC Email | Links

© Copyright 1997 - 2009 CentreCountyFire.com
All Rights Reserved